Beer-Marinated Bison NY Strip Steak
The beer does wonders for the flavor, and lime juice brightens up each bite. While it’s best to marinate overnight, rest assured 6 hours will get the job done! The peppercorn sauce with shallots and wine is so good you’ll forget it’s low-calorie bison.
- Prep Time:
- 20 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 8 Hours
- 4 (8 oz.) bison Boneless NY strip steaks
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle of dark beer
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon peeled fresh ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco brand pepper sauce
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarse black peppercorns
- 1½ cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1½ cups beef stock or canned beef broth
- ¼ cup whipping cream
To Make Strip Steaks:
- Place steaks in a single layer in a glass baking dish.
- Whisk beer, sugar, lime juice, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, oil, ginger and hot pepper sauce in large bowl to blend.
- Pour marinade over steaks in baking dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours.
For Peppercorn Sauce:
- Bring wine, shallots and peppercorns to boil in a medium saucepan; simmer until mixture is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and beef stock and boil until reduced to 2 cups, about 25 minutes.
- Add whipping cream and cook until sauce coats spoon, about 6 minutes.
- (Peppercorn sauce can be made up to 2 hours ahead. Set aside at room temperature)
To Finish Steaks:
- Prepare grill (medium-high heat).
- Remove steaks from marinade and grill to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to plates and keep warm.
- Bring peppercorn sauce to simmer and then spoon sauce over steaks.