Bison Antipasto Skewers with Pesto Dipping Sauce
Chunks of tender marinated bison are the stars in these grilled kebabs. Tasty vegetables and a delicious pesto dipping sauce turn them into a complete meal.
- Prep Time:
- 55 minutes
- Cook Time:
- 8 minutes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3/4 pound trimmed bison steak
- 2 6-ounce jars marinated artichoke pieces, drained
- 3 cups grape tomatoes (24 tomatoes)
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup prepared basil pesto
- In a medium bowl whisk together the oil and vinegar until combined. Stir in the garlic.
- Trim the bison steaks and cut into ¾-inch cubes. Add the meat to the marinade and toss to coat. Marinate for up to 30 minutes at room temperature or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator. Remove the meat and discard the remaining marinade.
- Soak 24 6-inch bamboo skewers in water for 10 minutes; drain.
- Place one piece of artichoke about 2 inches from the point of each skewer, then add 1 tomato and then 1 piece of meat on the end of each skewer. Skewers may be made to this point up to a day ahead and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Spray a grill or large grill pan with cooking spray and pre-heat over a medium-high heat. Season the meat on the skewers with salt and pepper. Place the skewers on the grill and cook 3 to 4 minutes for medium-rare, turning once. (Do this in 2 to 3 batches if using a grill pan.)
- To serve, arrange the skewers on a platter with a small bowl of pesto sauce for dipping.