Bison Bolognese with Creamy Polenta
A great appetizer or lunch dish. Creamy polenta with sharp Parmesan cheese compliments the richness of tomatoes, garlic and bison.
- Prep Time:
- 45 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 2 Hours
- 1 lb. ground bison
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- 1 carrot washed, peeled, and finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 (6 oz.) tomato paste
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water for bolognese
- 3 cups water for polenta
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup extra fine ground semolina or corn meal
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
To Make Bolognese:
- In a heavy bottomed skillet, add all of the vegetables and olive oil.
- Sauté over medium high heat until the onions become translucent, stirring frequently to prevent burning, and to facilitate even cooking. About 10 minutes.
- Add ground bison, and cook 8-10 minutes, until browned and crumbled-up.
- Add fresh thyme, and salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low.
- Add tomato paste, milk, and ½ cup water. Stir well, and continue to simmer for 1½-2 hours to develop the flavors and aromatics.
To Make Polenta:
- In medium saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil with a healthy pinch of salt.
- Whisk in corn meal quickly, while the water is boiling.
- Turn off heat, and continue to whisk 2-5 minutes, to prevent burning as the corn meal thickens. (Be careful of the corn meal mixture, because as it cooks, it can bubble-up and splatter, and you do not want to get any on your hands, as it will burn and stick!)
- Whisk in Parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately, topped with the bison Bolognese, and enjoy!