Bison Filet Mignon with Mushroom Sauce
Fresh, tender mushrooms mingle with the savory bite of Worcestershire and garlic, creating the perfect sauce for our hearty bison filet.
- Prep Time:
- 10 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 10 Minutes
- 4 (6 oz.) bison filet mignon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15 oz.) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove of fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place a heavy skillet (cast iron preferred) over high heat on stove to preheat. After 3 minutes, add vegetable oil and wait one minute for the oil to get hot.
- Season bison steaks with salt and pepper liberally on both sides. Place into skillet with hot oil. Sear both sides until a light brown crust develops, about 3-4 minutes per side. Lower heat to medium-high, remove steaks from skillet, and place on serving platter; keep warm.
- Add mushrooms, butter, and garlic to meat drippings in skillet. Stir to prevent sticking. Cook mushrooms about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Sprinkle mushroom mixture with flour. Stir well to incorporate and until all the flour is absorbed.
- Add water, wine, and Worcestershire sauce to the skillet, and stir well again, incorporating mushroom mixture with the additional liquids to make the sauce.
- Serve steaks with mushroom sauce.