Bolognese sauce with meatballs
Made from our tender ground bison, these moist meatballs are flavored with ground pepper and basil, and smothered in a sweet and zesty Bolognese sauce. Add your favorite pasta to complete the meal. Simple to make and a one-of-a-kind flavor that is comparable to that of a local Italian eatery.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (28oz.) canned diced tomatoes and juice
- 1 (6oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 (15oz.) canned tomato puree
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce for Bolognese sauce
- ½ cup wine for Bolognese sauce
- ¼ cup beef broth for Bolognese sauce
- 1 large carrot, diced small, for Bolognese sauce
- 1 pint roasted tomatoes for Bolognese sauce
- 4 sprigs of parsley for Bolognese sauce
- 2 lbs. ground bison for meatballs
- 1 egg for meatballs
- 1 medium onion, diced fine, for meatballs
- 1 cup bread crumbs, plain, for meatballs
- 3 tbsp. fresh parsley for meatballs
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper for meatballs
- ½ tsp. salt for meatballs
- 2 tsp. ground basil for meatballs
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce for meatballs
For Italian Red Sauce/Bolognese
- Sauté garlic and onions in olive oil in a 4-5 quart heavy-bottomed sauce pan over medium heat. Stir often, and cook until translucent and soft. Add diced carrots.
- Add all tomato products, including juice. Add wine and Worcestershire sauce. Lower heat to simmer.
- Add salt, sugar, oregano, basil, parsley, and pepper, and stir often over low heat. Cook about 1-1½ hours to help sauce develop flavor.
For Bison Meatballs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, add ground bison, egg, onion, parsley, bread crumbs, pepper, salt, basil, and Worcestershire sauce, and mix well with your hands. Form into walnut sized balls, and place on an oiled cookie tray, careful not to overcrowd and let the meatballs touch.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until done. Serve with your favorite prepared pasta.
- Makes about 32 meatballs.