Coffee Marinated Bison Short Ribs
Our marinade creates a deep smoky flavor with hints of sweet maple syrup. Marinate these tender short ribs a couple days in advance and braise in your slow cooker.
- Prep Time:
- 30 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 2.5 Hours
- 4 cups water - for the marinade
- 3 cups chilled strong coffee - for the marinade
- ½ cup coarse kosher or sea salt - for the marinade
- 3 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. of packed dark brown sugar - for the marinade
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup - for the marinade
- Chopped fresh rosemary - for the marinade
- 2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce - for the marinade
- 2 cups ice cubes for the marinade
- 4 lbs. bison short ribs (fresh or thawed) cut between ribs to separate
- 1/4 cup chopped bacon - for the braise
- 2 cups chopped onions and 1/2 cup chopped shallots - for the braise
- 6 minced garlic cloves - for the braise
- 1 small Jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped - for the braise
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee - for the braise
- 1/4 cup chili sauce or ketchup - for the braise
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard - for the braise
- 1 tbsp soy sauce - for the braise
For the Marinade
- Stir water, coffee, salt and sugar in a large bowl until salt and sugar dissolve.
- Add syrup, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce and ice cubes. Stir until ice melts.
- Add ribs and submerge into the liquid. Cover the bowl with a plate and chill in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours. Check to make sure ribs are still submerged.
- Drain the ribs and discard the marinade.
- You can do this step up to two days prior. Put drained ribs into sealed food storage bag and keep refrigerated.
For the Braise
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit, or put in slow cooker on low setting.
- Saute bacon in a heavy, large, and wide ovenproof pot over medium heat until just about brown. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and set aside.
- Increase heat to medium high. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Working in batches, sear ribs on both sides until brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add onions, shallots, garlic, and jalapeno to pot. Reduce to medium heat, cover, and cook until vegetables are soft.
- Add coffee and broth, stir, and scrape up the brown bits. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Add bacon and ribs, cover pot, and place in the oven, or transfer mixture to slow cooker. Braise in the oven for 2.5 hours, or slow cook for 6 hours until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and tent with foil. Spoon fat off surface of sauce, and boil liquid to reduce to 2 cups. Pour sauce over ribs to serve.