Corn Cakes with Spicy Ground Bison and Poached Eggs
We love poached eggs and this recipe is easy enough to enjoy, but yet different enough to be a real treat for breakfast or brunch.
- Prep Time:
- 20 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 20 Minutes
- 1lb. ground bison
- ¾ tsp. granulated garlic
- ¾ tsp. chili powder
- ¾ tsp. ground coriander
- ¾ tsp. ground cumin
- ¾ tsp. ground thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4oz. fat free refried beans
- 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 3oz. plain fat free, or reduced fat yogurt
- 12oz. frozen corn, thawed
- 1 jar of your favorite prepared salsa
- 4 eggs
- Cilantro for garnish
To Make Ground Bison Mixture:
- Season bison with garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, thyme, and salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the meat has crumbled, about 3 minutes.
- Add refried beans and continue cooking, stirring until the beans are hot and the bison is cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. Shut off stove and keep this mixture warm.
To Make Corn Cakes:
- Add box of Jiffy corn muffin mix to a mixing bowl with the egg, yogurt, and half of the thawed frozen corn. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix or you will have tough corn cakes!
- Cook the corn batter on a griddle as you would pancakes. Use a non stick spray so the corn cakes do not stick. Keep warm.
- Mix the remaining thawed frozen corn with the jar of salsa and set aside.
To Make Poached Eggs:
- Poach the eggs to your desired doneness. For 3 minute eggs, the yolk will still be runny and not cooked through. For 4-5 minute eggs, the yolk will have a firmer to fully cooked center.
- To serve: Place 1-2 corn cakes on serving plate. Scoop 5-6oz. of the seasoned bison mixture on top, and level a space to place the poached egg.
- Garnish with corn salsa and cilantro leaves.