Grilled Herb Bison Tri Tip Roast
The lean tri tip is cut from the sirloin. Grilled with this complex spice rub, it's a rich, tender eating experience. Apply the spice rub the night before so the flavors seep into the roast, and grill the next day.
- Prep Time:
- 15 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 30 Minutes
- One 3lb. bison tri tip roast (fresh or fully thawed)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil for searing
For Spice Rub
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 tbsp. sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tbsp. celery seed
- 1 tbsp. ground mustard
- 1 tbsp. cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- Brush olive oil over all sides of the roast.
- In a small bowl, combine all spice ingredients.
- Rub the mixture over the roast, covering completely.
- Wrap the roast in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour, or up to 24 hours, if you have time.
- Pre-heat BBQ to medium high.
- Place the roast on a lightly oiled grill in the center of the BBQ. Close the lid.
- Grill for 15 minutes, turn over, and grill for additional 15 minutes, for a total of 30 minutes of grilling time.
- Remove roast to carving board. Loosely tent with foil, and let stand for 15 minutes, to let the juices settle.
- Carve into strips with the grain.