Honey-Orange Bison Back Ribs
Onion, garlic, and pepper combine with a sweet orange marinade atop tender melt-in-your-mouth bison back ribs.
- Prep Time:
- 20 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 60 Minutes
- 5 to 6 lbs bison back ribs, cut into 2 to 3 rib portions
- 2 12-ounce bottles chili sauce
- 1 + 1/2 cups orange juice
- 2 tsp finely shredded orange zest
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Place bison back ribs in a 4 to 6-quart pot. Cover with water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, or until tender. Drain; cool for 30 minutes. Place bison back ribs in a large resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish.
- For marinade, combine chili sauce, orange juice, orange zest, onion, vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Pour 3 cups over the bison back ribs. Marinate bison back ribs in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally. Cover remaining marinade; chill until needed. Drain bison back ribs; reserve the drained marinade for brushing on ribs while grilling.
- For charcoal grill, arrange preheated coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place bison back ribs on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 15 to 20 minutes, or until heated through, brushing once with some of the drained marinade; discard any remaining marinade used for brushing. (For gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium-high. Adjust for indirect grilling. Grill as above.)
- Place the reserved marinade (not used for marinating or brushing) in a medium saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes; pass with bison back ribs.