Mexican Bison Bake with Cilantro-Lime Cream
A hearty, piquant dish that mixes Italian pasta, Mexican seasonings, and tender North American bison.
- Prep Time:
- 20 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 35 Minutes
- 1 pound ground bison
- 6 ounces dried penne pasta
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips, if desired
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lime zest
Mexican Bison Bake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook ground bison and garlic over medium heat in a large skillet until meat is brown. Drain off fat.
- Stir cooked pasta into the cooked, drained ground bison in the skillet. Stir in beans, undrained tomatoes, salsa, oregano, cumin, and chili powder.
- Transfer mixture to an ungreased 2-quart baking dish or casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with tortilla chips (if using) and cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon green onion and serve with Cilantro-Lime Cream.
- Combine sour cream, the 3 tablespoons green onions, the cilantro, and lime zest in a small bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.