Pure Comfort Bison Meatloaf
The heavenly aroma of this perfectly-herbed meatloaf baking will have you longing for the first bite of pure home-cooked comfort.
- Prep Time:
- 20 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 75 Minutes
- 2 lbs. pure lean, ground bison (fresh or fully thawed)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 small can tomato paste
- ¼ cup smoky rich BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp. dried summer savory
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano (or ¼ cup chopped fresh)
- 1 tbsp. dried basil (or ¼ cup chopped fresh)
- Sea salt and coarse ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In a heavy skillet, preheated over medium high heat, add olive oil and onions. Sauté until golden brown, then add garlic and mushrooms, and continue cooking until all of the liquid has evaporated, and the mushrooms are brown.
- In a large bowl, mix together fresh bison (uncooked), milk, breadcrumbs, eggs, tomato paste, BBQ sauce, herbs, and the mushroom mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put mixture into a lightly sprayed loaf pan, and press down firmly.
- Bake until internal temperature of 160˚F is reached (about an hour).
- Let stand in the loaf pan for 5 minutes to let the juices settle.
- Place plate on top of loaf pan, invert to remove, and place meatloaf on serving platter.