Bison Filet Mignon with Smashed Potatoes
This popular recipe combines a melt-in-your-mouth bison filet with smooth pan gravy, tender potatoes and rice with an exotically delicious twist.
- Prep Time:
- 20 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 35 Minutes
- 4 (6oz.) bison filet mignon steaks
- ½ tsp. ground rosemary
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ stick softened butter, room temperature
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. granulated garlic
- 2 cups hot water
- 2½ cups canned low-sodium beef broth
- ½ cup cooking wine
- 4 tsp. arrowroot, dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lbs. potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup canned low-sodium chicken broth
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
To Make Roasted Bison Filet Mignon with Pan Gravy:
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Let the bison steaks rest one hour at room temperature.
- In a small bowl, knead together rosemary, salt, and butter. Rub onto the meat.
- In a roasting pan, roast the meat for 10 to 15 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to platter and keep warm.
- Add the broth and cooking wine to the pan juices in the roasting pan, scraping up the brown bits. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to simmer, cooking the broth until it is reduced by half.
- Stir the arrowroot mixture and add it to the gravy. Stir until dissolved. Simmer the gravy for 3 minutes, and add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the gravy to a heated sauceboat.
- Cook potatoes in medium saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well, and return potatoes to same saucepan.
- Coarsely mash potatoes, and add enough chicken broth to moisten. Add a pinch of nutmeg, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve under roasted filet mignon and pan gravy.