Robust Bison Tri-Tip Roast
This is the quintessential football playoffs slow cooker recipe, but the beer/garlic combination is a winner every season. Assemble the ingredients in the morning, turn on the slow cooker (or the oven) and let the game begin!
- Prep Time:
- 15 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 6 Hours
- One 3 lb. bison tri-tip roast (fresh or fully thawed)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Cracked peppercorns, and a dusting of garlic powder for searing
- ½ cup dry red wine or Italian dressing
- 2 cloves of garlic, quartered
- 12 oz. beer (pick your favorite)
- 2 small onions, diced
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. dry mustard powder
- Set slow cooker to low or preheat the oven to 275°F.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottom pan on stove top to a sizzle.
- Liberally dust roast with cracked peppercorns and garlic powder.
- Sear the roast on both sides to seal the juices.
- Remove and transfer to slow cooker, or a deep covered casserole dish.
- Mix all other ingredients together and pour into the casserole dish or slow cooker.
- Add water so combined liquid just covers the top of the roast.
- Cook for 6-8 hours in slow cooker, or 5-6 hours in oven until meat is fork tender.
- Remove meat to serving platter.
- Skim fat off surface of liquid, discard.
- Thicken liquid with a roux for au jus or gravy.