Sea-and-Shore Kabobs with Mediterranean Couscous Salad
A refreshing way to serve sirloin and scallops. Grilling with vegetables on skewers allows the flavors to mix; serving with couscous adds a finishing Mediterranean touch.
- Prep Time:
- 50 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 10 Minutes
- 3 6-ounce packages bison sirloin steak, cut into 1 + 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon zest
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 16 large fresh or frozen sea scallops (about 1 pound)
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise, and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 16 small whole or halved large button mushrooms
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- One 14 1/2-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 + 1/4 cups quick-cooking couscous
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup bottled Greek vinaigrette salad dressing
- For brush-on, stir together oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, salt, and thyme in a small bowl; set aside.
- Thaw scallops, if frozen. Rinse scallops; pat dry with paper towels. On eight 10-inch skewers,* alternately thread scallops, cherry tomatoes, and zucchini, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces.
- On eight 10-inch skewers,* alternately thread bison sirloin steak pieces, mushrooms, and bell pepper, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces.
- For gas or charcoal grill, place bison skewers on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium-high heat. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes, or until desired doneness, turning once and brushing with brush-on. Grill scallop skewers beside bison skewers for 5 to 6 minutes or until scallops are opaque, turning once and brushing with brush-on. Serve with Mediterranean Couscous Salad.
Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- Bring broth to boiling in a medium saucepan. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff couscous lightly with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Stir in chopped tomato, cucumber, onion, and feta cheese. Toss with vinaigrette.